[Vision2020] Journalistic integrity

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:27:44 -0800

Mr. Burton wrote:
"Further, the "journalistic integrity" slug to this thread is a red
herring. The New York Times incident was about integrity and ethics,
this seems more like quibbling."

I couldn't agree more.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]
On Behalf Of Greg Burton
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 11:06 AM
To: Douglas; vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Journalistic integrity

  I have been reading this thread, albeit probably only the bottom half,
with some bemusement. So, I pulled up the Spokesman web copy of the
article by daily news scribe Alexis Bacharach. The web version may
differ from the print version, or even the version that ran in the DNews
because different editors often make changes later, even from versions
shipped whole over the AP news wire.

  That being said, the web version today says "the Christ
Church-sponsored conference in February during which the authors will
discuss history and slavery." That's not the exact quote Doug W. writes
below. And it makes a clear distinction. The Spokesman web version of
the DNews story also conveys the idea that Sanchez believes Wilson and
Wilkins "seek to provide a biblical defense of slavery" in their book,
not that they will do so at the "History Conference." Another important
distinction.
  My question is will Wilson and Wilkins discuss slavery or will they
not?
  If so, the article is accurate in my mind. Many times, too, a
journalist will get a tip about something, examine the veracity and go
with the information if they can confirm it elsewhere. Maybe that
happened in this instance. If not, there should be a simple correction
or clarification.
  Further, the "journalistic integrity" slug to this thread is a red
herring. The New York Times incident was about integrity and ethics,
this seems more like quibbling.

cheers, greg burton