[Vision2020] Flyers

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:00:48 -0700

Sunil chastised:
> Yes, I remember that you opposed the war.  What I was
> pointing out was that the fact that the Administration has
> lied about the war's rationales and it doesn't seem to bunch
> your undergarments.

Perhaps I'm being cynical, but every Administration that I can recall has
lied to the people.

Let's take war -- when was the last time that there was a "war" that the US
entered justly?  WWII? There are few on this list who can recall that last
just war we engaged in, but we all can think of numerous "conflicts",
"engagements" and "activities" that we've been involved in.

So it doesn't surprise me when we do something unlawful like going to war
against Iraq.

However, if I were to let that get under my skin, I'd be walking around like
my undies were bunched up. Then someone would mistake me for a layer, and
that would be a *terrible* thing to answer to!  :)

> Now you seem to be using the "How would
> you know, Sunil, since you don't have access to classified
> documents," argument to suggest that I cannot know whether
> intelligence was misused.  I guess you're willing to wait
> until all materials are declassified before making a call on
> this, so we'll set it aside.  For my part, I'm willing to
> trust my nose on this, and no, the Rules of Evidence don't
> apply here, and don't always apply in court in a uniform fashion.

Well, you can trust your nose. I just hope you didn't have anything bad for
dinner before sniffing deeply.

As for me -- I'll trust the data that I see. So far, we've not seen anything
pro or con.

I spent 20 years in the Navy holding the highest clearances that you can
have. I've seen data come across my desk that the general public doesn't
know (for security reasons). So, I'm more cautious about jumping to
conclusions than someone who hasn't walked in my moccasins may be.

Best,
Dale