[Vision2020] Not boycotters, just smart shoppers

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:55:17 -0700

Now why is it that Nate, Dale, etc., define tolerance as the willingness to
put money in the pockets of people who think I'm an abomination?  Wouldn’t
that be something else, like, say, foolhardiness?  Self-loathing?
Stupidity?

It’s true that I don’t research the politics of the company’s CEO before I
buy a stick of deodorant or a roll of toilet paper.  That would be
excessively time-consuming and, consequently, unhygienic.  (Some things just
won't wait for the mission statement.)  However, I see no reason why I
should frequent businesses that *I know* are owned by people who express
anti-gay, anti-feminist, bigoted, undemocratic and/or troglodytic political,
theological, and cultural views.  Why would I?  It’s my money, for god’s
sake.  It's buried in my yard and sewn into my mattress.  Mine, mine, mine!

I’m not trying to shut people up; I’m just not going to pay them to talk.
To those who suggest that this is somehow intolerant or divisive, I say, no
way, baby, it’s capitalism!  We can shop where we want, give our money to
whom we like, and withhold it from those who say things like, “The Bible
offers a choice of punishments for homosexuals—it doesn’t have to be death.
It could be exile.”

The great thing about this approach is that it’s a two-way street.  I don’t
have to buy doughnuts from Jerry Falwell, and Nate and Dale don’t have to
buy Christmas cards from the Godless Pagan Margaret Sanger Gay Card House.
(Special discount on Happy Darwin Day greetings.)

Hmm . . . death . . . or exile from Moscow, Idaho.  Surely there's a door
number three.

Joan Opyr

Auntie Establishment
Serving Idaho's liberal elite since 1993

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.