[Vision2020] Not boycotters, just smart shoppers

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:19:51 -0700

Joan and Amy,
Actually, I agree with you both (as far as consumer rights go), and Joan
was obviously on her game as she was a pleasure to read. The
"Intolerance" subject line was not my own. However, what would the
vision2020 response be if we called for a boycott of all Muslim
businesses because we didn't want to endorse their views of women? We'd
get called the same thing my father has already been called for thinking
slavery in the South didn't merit the bloodshed of the Civil War. I
personally find boycotts amusing and ineffective, but that's just me. In
my strange world the tastiest cinammon roll is the most Christian no
matter who made it (but I think that only works with Christianity). If
you all don't want to buy your baked goods at Bucers, Wheatberries, or
Zume because they were made by conservative Christians, or because your
money might be going toward some kid's private education, or into the
coffers of the church, that is most certainly your right. Why would Joan
go to some place where they think she's an abomination (her word not
mine)? Because they have the best chocolate cake? The best music? The
best interest rates? Why would I go into a business where they insist
(despite my denial) that I'm the bigoted son of a racist (assuming they
recognized me)? For all the same reasons.
Feel free to avoid my kids' lemonade stand (when they're old enough)
because they will tithe their dimes to Christ Church (and their money
might end up going toward building projects in west Africa). But if your
kids have the best lemonade (or they're just cute) I'll be there with my
quarters. Cheers.

NDW

P.S. Tom, I'm afraid I was just amusing myself with the BATH party. It's
a bad habit, I know.