[Vision2020] Jack Hill's comments

Jon Kimberling jon@n-k-ins.com
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:43:42 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C3968A.106F03B0

Bill- your initial email on this topic was sent out on September 2nd. =
Included in that email were the following statements: "the council is =
covering up the results of that impropriety" and "this City government =
is in need of an enema" and finally "I'm ready for election of some =
public-minded Council members". And then you and others question council =
members who are not regular participants in v2020????????

If there was an Olympic event for jumping to conclusions, you would have =
the gold medal in the bag. I find that often our greatest exercise of =
power is the judgmental attitude we have toward each other. The last =
point myself or any other council member is trying to make is what you =
stated. We do not presume to know your will. I want to hear the opinion =
that differs from mine because that helps me test my beliefs. There was =
an excellent email I believe by Mr. Westberg on this subject just this =
last week. But we do hope, and feel it is reasonable, that you do a =
little research before questioning our honesty and ethics not to mention =
our qualifications for the job. A cover-up. Come on. I believe we as a =
council are successful when we recognize the needs of others and set our =
minds to do what is just and fair.=20

I felt Gary Riedners editorial response did an excellent job of =
summarizing the challenge we have at the City. There is a need for open =
government balanced with the privacy rights of employees. I know many =
v2020 followers support revisions to the Patriot Act. I think it's a =
fair analogy that government employees have the right to some privacy as =
well.

I don't think there is much to add. Again, my point in questioning why =
you didn't have a follow-up to all this was that you won't pass up an =
opportunity to rail on the Council. If we listen and then go out of our =
way to do the right thing- is that not worth a mention? I guess not.

Your response, in my opinion, confirms everything I said. It's not about =
being upset or hurt. It's about raising the bar in our working =
relationship. Every City has problems and issues. The difference is that =
in some cities they can carry on a "healthy dialogue". We need that in =
Moscow no matter who is on the City Council.

Jon

  ----- Original Message -----=20