[Vision2020] Alturas

Bill Strand strand@pacsim.com
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:44:26 -0700

Hi Tim,

Whenever I get into these types of discussions, I prefer to start with
the same set of facts. When facts like "the number of jobs that have
been taken from downtown" are obviously inflated to make a point - yes,
I tend to draw the conclusion that the arguments are not objective. When
I hear statements about "how much Alturas has cost the taxpayers of
Moscow" I know there is another agenda. It doesn't take a mathematician
to determine the taxes that have been paid by the businesses and
employees at Alturas. Not to mention the state money that comes to the
schools because our children attend Moscow schools.

The issue of economic growth in Moscow and the role of Alturas is a
valid area for public discussion. The issue of "urban sprawl" is
something that needs to be addressed. I look forward to the public
discussion as to the path Alturas will be taking in the future.

But it seems we should be able to go into this discussion with the
correct facts without exaggeration to prove a point. These type of scare
tactics are what politicians use. Why follow suit?

Bill Strand