[Vision2020] Alturas

Barbara Richardson Crouch edc@moscow.com
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:55:52 -0700

The bonds will be retired in 2015.  The businesses in Alturas do pay taxes -
those taxes are used to retire the bonds.  Economic benefit cannot be
defined purely by property taxes paid - if that were the case, the
University of Idaho, Gritman Medical Center, etc. would have no economic
benefit.

I believe there is a false notion that no business growth means no growth or
sprawl for Moscow.  That is not true.  Moscow has seen a tremendous growth
in residential units.  The great quality of life that brought me here, will
continue to bring others.  Residential growth alone cannot support a city's
tax base - business development is necessary to generate property taxes and
jobs that support the local economy.  If you look at the wonderful
festivals, arts events, etc. in Moscow - most have local businesses as their
major sponsors.  Without businesses many of the activities that contribute
to our great quality of life would not exist.

Moscow cannot provide economic opportunity for all its citizens without
business growth.  If you review the UI economic impact study, you will see
that the third highest economic force on our economy is money from outside
Moscow/Pullman - this does not include UI and WSU funds or Federal Funds and
transfer Payments (welfare, social security, retirement, etc.) We are a
bedroom community, and as with all bedroom communities, residential property
taxes will continue to climb to pay for services.

Barbara Richardson Crouch
Latah Economic Development Council
121 Sweet Ave.
Moscow, Idaho 83843