[Vision2020] Alturas

bill london london@moscow.com
Wed, 08 Oct 2003 08:41:41 -0700

B-
And I'll respond to your clarifications....
1. The suggested rule change would encourage the companies now at
Alturas, or considering Alturas, to sell directly to the public (retail
sales).  That would change Alturas from a office mall to a retail
center--in this case, a mini-mall with a cute fountain park at the
entrance.  Not that I have anything against retail--it's just that the
taxpayers of Moscow paid for this with the understanding that Alturas
was going to be a haven for job-creating high-tech industries.  Not a
competitor to downtown and mall retail.  Besides, don't you really think
that having customers driving in, etc, would change the nature of Alturas?
2. OK, how about one-third of the jobs at Alturas are in the day care,
attorneys', accountants' offices, etc?
My basic point is that PacSim (your business) is a perfect example of
what Alturas should be about...a high-tech company retained in Moscow by
the amenities of Alturas.  The day care center and attorneys etc are
not.  The rules should be changed to encourage more PacSim's and not
allow any more of the attorneys and day cares in.  Let's focus growth in
town, not sprawling into the wheatfields.  Let's not spend more tax
money giving plush office space to attorneys moving from downtown offices.
BL