[Vision2020] FM Improvement

John Dickinson johnd@moscow.com
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 19:44:50 -0700

I have been at Farmers' Market every moment for the last six weeks
(primarily selling T-shirts and raffle tickets for the Latah Trail
Foundation). Being at Market from 7:30 until 12:30 has given me the
opportunity to watch the community of Moscow celebrate one glorious Saturday
morning after another. Farmers' Market is a community event that we are all
so lucky to have. It is not just about buying fruit or vegetables, but it is
also about being part of the community of Moscow. I believe that even people
who never come to Market benefit from the community spirit that is generated
every Saturday morning in the center of Moscow. Let me give you my favorite
example.

I talked with a woman last Saturday who once lived in a house on Jackson
Street across from where Farmers' Market is now. She left Moscow 50 years
ago when she was 9 years old. She was making her first return visit Moscow
in 50 years. I talked with her and her husband for maybe 10 minutes. They
were happy to feel the community spirit that radiates at the Market on
Saturday morning. She bought a Latah Trail T-shirt as a souvenir (the
previous day she had bought a horse in Lewiston, a larger souvenir). I know
Farmers' Market added tremendously to her reunion with Moscow - making her
return warm and friendly.

Farmers' Market is a precious event for Moscow. It cannot be significantly
changed or moved without great danger to its spirit. If it were easy to move
or resize, then every other community in the area would also have a market -
but they do not.

I hope the rest of the Saturdays in October are nice so that everyone can
experience the joyful community spirit again. It is wonderful.

John
JOHN DICKINSON
phone 208-882-7977

Dickinson for Council