[Vision2020] FM Improvement; another option

Beth beth@bethsbackyard.com
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:53:42 -0700

10/03/03

As a vendor, I see a number of things to consider.  A couple of them are
market location and market configuration.

Is the fair grounds a location where as many people will come to the market
by driving, walking, and riding their bikes as they do now?  Will U of I
students and their visiting families attend as regularly?  Will folks from
Pullman, Colfax, and other locations attend as frequently?  It is also
necessary to consider that it will probably take a few years for the market
to recover from a change in location.  The market may not completely recover
or it may improve.  The vendors take the risk for both the short run and the
long run.

There is something that makes the Moscow Farmers' Market a success.  In my
opinion, one of the major factors is market configuration.  Consider a few
of the things this market provides for the people who attend:  A different
kind of shopping, entertainment, and a place to socialize.

The present configuration is essentially a square.  The entire market can be
seen from almost anywhere within the square.  Customers can see the vendors
and the customers can see their friends.  In other words, as the customers
move around in this fairly tight square area, they have maximum exposure to
the vendors for shopping and maximum exposure to their friends for
socializing.  Since food vendors are dispersed throughout the square market
area, there are always a number of people standing around talking while
drinking coffee, etc.  If the customers want entertainment, they can find it
at the side of the market in Friendship Square where it enhances the market,
but does not interfere with it.

About 18 months ago, when I first heard about the idea of moving the entire
market to Main Street, I started thinking about market configurations.  It
didn't take long to realize that the Main Street idea could only work under
special circumstances and would be a bad deal for the vendors and customers
in our market.  At first, I thought maybe the most ideal configuration would
be a circle with the entertainment in the middle.  But, I concluded that the
entertainment in the middle of the circle would interfere with the
visibility and proximity between customers, friends, and vendors.  I think
the configuration we have now is as close to ideal as we will ever have.

In theory, if we moved to the fair grounds, the configuration could be the
same.  This idea has been around for a long time, so I've looked around at
the fair grounds and thought about the advantages different folks have put
forward.   More parking and somewhat easier access to restrooms would be
nice.  The outside stage, with some modification, could face the flat area
where the vendors should be.  This flat gravel area doesn't have much
atmosphere, but we could get our cars, trucks, and trailers in to load and
unload.  There would  be quite a traffic jam getting in and out.

Using the inside area would be a problem.   Vendors selling produce, plants,
and a number of other things would have a miserable time moving their stuff
in and out of the building.  If only some of the vendors move into the
building, the market is split and the advantage of the tight square
configuration is lost.

I think this market is easier to damage than it is to improve.  We need to
make sure there is a very clear and compelling reason to change it.  Changes
in location or configuration should be considered carefully.

In addition to being a vendor, my wife and I are residents of Moscow and
believe the market is important for downtown.   We need to figure out if
there is a way to solve some of the downtown problems, such a parking and
other issues, without damaging the market.  In the end, the council will
have to make a decision that is best for the City.

I hope this is helpful,

Brad King