[Vision2020] Study Sited

DonovArn@aol.com DonovArn@aol.com
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:01:12 EST

--part1_f.1d473dc3.2cf6ed28_boundary

I really think it is a matter of the individual child and the way the child
is spanked and for what reasons.

A four year old that accidentally knocks over a flower pot due to lack of
coordination should not be spanked at all. A mother that spanks her four year old
for this accident out of anger is committing abuse.

On the other hand, if the child was told not to play around the flower pot
and knocks it over and the child was doing exactly what he/she was told not to
do, and the mother spanks the child calmly and explains that they are being
spanked for disobeying the parents I don't think that is abuse.

I really think it depends on the way the parent does the spanking and for
what reasons. I do think that spanking a child out of anger is always abuse.
There is nothing more frightening than someone that has total power over you, 5
times your size, coming at you with swinging arms and a bright red face filled
with anger ready to pounce on you.

For that reason, I object to spanking in most cases. Many parents that spank
their children do so with anger and adrenaline running through them. It is
easy to hurt a child when you are angry.  You don't know your own strength and
can easily hurt a child. No one can honestly say the know how much pain and
mental anguish they are inflicting on there child.

I do think that some instances of spanking is the only way to keep a child
from seriously injuring and/or killing themselves. Such a running into the
middle of the street, or sticking objects into an electrical outlet. You cannot
explain the complexities of what would happen to a three year old. But you can
create artificial circumstances that inflict some level of displeasure so they
will not do it again. When they get older they will understand why.

Bottom line for me is, if the parent takes pleasure in spanking a child, or
does it for accidents and little things, or spanks a kid in anger, they are
abusing their child. If the do it calmly, for good reason, attempt to explain why
they are being spanked, and do not hit so hard as to leave the child in pain
for longer than a few minutes, they are just being parents trying to educate
their children.

You can spank a child and still be abusive in how you do it. You can also
never touch a child and still be very abusive to them. I think it far more
complex than just hitting, spanking, and taking time outs. But it is proven that
people that are abused, neglected, and not properly loved are more likely to be
criminals and abusers themselves. I don't think any sensible person would
disagree with this. I am not going to site studies, but visit any prison and you
will find that most the inmates were not familiar with the term "10 minute
time-outs" as children.

Donovan

--part1_f.1d473dc3.2cf6ed28_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I really think it is a matter of the individual child=20=
and the way the child is spanked and for what reasons.<BR>
<BR>
A four year old that accidentally knocks over a flower pot due to lack of co=
ordination should not be spanked at all. A mother that spanks her four year=20=
old for this accident out of anger is committing abuse.<BR>
<BR>
On the other hand, if the child was told not to play around the flower pot a=
nd knocks it over and the child was doing exactly what he/she was told not t=
o do, and the mother spanks the child calmly and explains that they are bein=
g spanked for disobeying the parents I don't think that is abuse.<BR>
<BR>
I really think it depends on the way the parent does the spanking and for wh=
at reasons. I do think that spanking a child out of anger is always abuse. T=
here is nothing more frightening than someone that has total power over you,=
 5 times your size, coming at you with swinging arms and a bright red face f=
illed with anger ready to pounce on you. <BR>
<BR>
For that reason, I object to spanking in most cases. Many parents that spank=
 their children do so with anger and adrenaline running through them. It is=20=
easy to hurt a child when you are angry.&nbsp; You don't know your own stren=
gth and can easily hurt a child. No one can honestly say the know how much p=
ain and mental anguish they are inflicting on there child.<BR>
<BR>
I do think that some instances of spanking is the only way to keep a child f=
rom seriously injuring and/or killing themselves. Such a running into the mi=
ddle of the street, or sticking objects into an electrical outlet. You canno=
t explain the complexities of what would happen to a three year old. But you=
 can create artificial circumstances that inflict some level of displeasure=20=
so they will not do it again. When they get older they will understand why.<=

<BR>
Bottom line for me is, if the parent takes pleasure in spanking a child, or=20=
does it for accidents and little things, or spanks a kid in anger, they are=20=
abusing their child. If the do it calmly, for good reason, attempt to explai=
n why they are being spanked, and do not hit so hard as to leave the child i=
n pain for longer than a few minutes, they are just being parents trying to=20=
educate their children.<BR>
<BR>
You can spank a child and still be abusive in how you do it. You can also ne=
ver touch a child and still be very abusive to them. I think it far more com=
plex than just hitting, spanking, and taking time outs. But it is proven tha=
t people that are abused, neglected, and not properly loved are more likely=20=
to be criminals and abusers themselves. I don't think any sensible person wo=
uld disagree with this. I am not going to site studies, but visit any prison=
 and you will find that most the inmates were not familiar with the term "10=
 minute time-outs" as children. <BR>
<BR>
Donovan</FONT></HTML>

--part1_f.1d473dc3.2cf6ed28_boundary--