[Vision2020] UI and WSU statements on slavery issue

Thomas Hansen tomh@uidaho.edu
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:06:37 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3AA43.2BC976A0

Thank you, Mr. London.  I realize that neither UI nor WSU in no way, shape,
form, or fashion sponsor such a lecture and sincerely appreciate their
respective presidents' forthrightness.

Tom Hansen
UI '96

-----Original Message-----
From: bill london [mailto:london@moscow.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 3:56 PM
To: Vision2020
Subject: [Vision2020] UI and WSU statements on slavery issue

Both the UI and WSU Presidents issued statements about the slavery issue and
the use of UI facilities for a conference sponsored by an organization
supporting slavery.  Both are reprinted below.  BL
--
WSU website address for this statement:
http://www.wsu.edu/president/11-12-letter-from-president.html

November 12, 2003
President V. Lane Rawlins
Speaks Out for Diversity:
An Open Letter to the University Community
Last week I received several letters and e-mails concerning a proposed
conference in Moscow, Idaho, that may include a defense of slavery as a
major topic of discussion. I appreciate the information provided to me and I
have asked members of our administration to look into the situation,
discourage such presentations, and make our opposition known. Washington
State University's leaders, including central administration and our
regents, are deeply concerned about the social and racial climate for our
students on our own campus and in our regional area.
It is important you know that the planned conference to be held in February
2004 in rented space on the University of Idaho campus in Moscow has nothing
to do with Washington State University or the Pullman community and we knew
nothing about it until the recent responses came to us. The best information
we can obtain is that the conference is being arranged by a private
organization based in Moscow, Idaho. The University of Idaho is not a
sponsor and is not presenting this conference
I expect that there is much provocative and fallacious material associated
with this conference. Members of my staff have informed us about a booklet
that defends slavery as a social institution. I want you to know that those
views and others sympathetic to them are intellectually and morally
reprehensible and unacceptable to me and to the leadership of WSU. Such
views have no place here and I believe that all reasonable people will
reject such malicious nonsense. In fact, you may have seen the follow-up
article in the Daily News on the weekend of Nov. 8-9 where historians from
the University of Idaho, the University of Maryland and Duke University
exposed the booklet for what it is, self-published propaganda disguised as
history.
As you know, diversity is an important value at WSU and we are working hard
to create an environment where we can all live and work together in harmony
and where we learn more about our different cultures and beliefs. We are
devoting considerable university resources to the recruitment of a more
diverse faculty and student body as well as facilities and support, such as
those in the new space for the multicultural centers. We also sponsor a
number of major programs to educate our community on issues of race,
ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and religion. However, I am aware
that there remains much to do and that the ugly heads of racism and
intolerance can still be seen here. We have several opportunities in the
next few months to reaffirm our commitment to our core values, which include
greater diversity on this campus and the creation of a safe and open
environment that is welcoming for women and men of all races, ethnicities,
religions, and sexual orientations. I invite the entire community to help us
prepare a program for Black History Month that will help call the attention
of our university community to these important issues.
We will do all that is in our legal power to discourage this conference in
Idaho but, if it goes forward, I will request that our faculty and students
develop a program to occur at the same time that will present a more
truthful interpretation of slavery and our nation's racial history. I
believe that the best way to combat propaganda is with presentations that
are factual and truthful. Perhaps we can use this as a clarion call to all
of us, as well as a reminder that there are still those among us who do not
share our values. Through such activities, I hope we can involve more people
across our campus in Black History Month and, as a university, use this time
to strengthen our university commitment to diversity, cultural awareness,
and a safe and open environment. We have opened dialog contact with the
leadership of the University of Idaho, indicating our concerns about the
planned conference. They too have serious concerns, and I believe we can
develop some joint programming in direct contrast and opposition to any
expressions such as those in the booklet mentioned above.
If you wish to follow up with officials in Idaho, I suggest that you contact
the Latah County Human Rights Task Force through its founder, Joann Muneta,
about your concerns regarding the speakers for this conference. We are
consulting directly with the Pullman Human Rights Commission as well.
I am grateful to those who brought this conference to my attention. I ask
everyone in the university community to work towards using this event to
strengthen our opposition and speak out openly for the values we have
adopted. We must come to realize that apathy is dangerous whenever there is
active opposition.
V. Lane Rawlins
President
--
UI website address for this statement:
http://www.today.uidaho.edu/details.asp?id=2393

DIVERSITY STATEMENT FROM UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO ADMINISTRATION
November 13, 2003

By Gary Michael and Brian Pitcher

"The University of Idaho regards bigotry of any sort as intellectually
abhorrent and morally reprehensible; it values the benefits of cultural
diversity and pledges to students, prospective students, and the public that
it will defend pluralism in the academic community; and warmly welcomes all
men and women of good will without regard to their race, religion or ethnic
background."

The University of Idaho reaffirmed those words and their inclusion in the
Faculty/Staff Handbook more than 15 years ago. They are clear, strong words
that reflect the essence of an institution of higher learning. In light of
the recent debate in Moscow concerning the nature of slavery in the American
South before the Civil War, it is important to once again assert these words
and the University of Idaho's unwavering commitment to human rights,
diversity and academic integrity.

UI policies specifically prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis
of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion,
disabilities, sexual orientation and veteran status. The UI continues to
strive to create an inclusive, welcoming environment. Everyone must be free
to live, work and study with respect and dignity and have the opportunity to
realize their goals. We stand in solidarity with those who have been
offended by recent events.

Any attempt to minimize, rationalize or recast the evils of slavery runs
counter to the stated values of our institution. In addition, such views are
contrary to the weight of established historical evidence and demonstrate a
lack of academic integrity. When that pseudo-scholarship is distributed
under the guise of an academic booklet, it is a chilling and disturbing
reminder of our challenges on the fronts of diversity and human rights.

Some have suggested the university ban organizations that tolerate or appear
to support such beliefs from meeting on campus. As tempting as that may be
in this case, we must resist tampering with the First Amendment rights of
all in hopes of squelching ideas with which we disagree. The University of
Idaho has a long tradition of robust and vibrant debate on public issues. It
is important to allow unpopular views to be heard, regardless of how
controversial, distasteful or repugnant they are. To that end, the UI makes
available non-academic space in the Student Union Building and Commons for
rental by a wide variety of community groups with no review of the content
of the presentations. This is consistent with U.S. Supreme Court decisions
regarding equal access to facilities at public universities.

Our commitment to freedom of speech leads us to believe that the best way to
counter views that run contrary to the university's principles is by
providing a forum for a thorough discussion. In the marketplace of ideas, we
are convinced that the truth will prevail. Already, there has been
considerable discussion about diversity and human rights on campus, which is
a positive development. We have faith that the process of open inquiry and
responsible historical scholarship will illustrate the true nature of
slavery and the challenges we still face as a society.

On Martin Luther King - Idaho Human Rights Day in January, the university
and the larger community will launch a six-week program of lectures,
read-ins, teach-ins, films and other activities culminating with the Lionel
Hampton Jazz Festival, to celebrate Black History month and to highlight our
ongoing pursuit of diversity and human rights. Please join us and add your
voice to those who appreciate the richness cultural diversity adds to our
community.

Gary Michael is the interim president of the University of Idaho. Brian
Pitcher is UI's provost

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3AA43.2BC976A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<TITLE></TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY text=3D#000000 bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D014000000-14112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>Thank=20
you, Mr. London.&nbsp; I realize that neither UI nor WSU in no way, =
shape, form,=20
or fashion sponsor such a lecture and sincerely appreciate their =
respective=20
presidents' forthrightness.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D014000000-14112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D014000000-14112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>Tom=20
Hansen</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D014000000-14112003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>UI=20
'96</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
  size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> bill london=20
  [mailto:london@moscow.com]<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, November 13, =
2003 3:56=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> Vision2020<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Vision2020] UI and =
WSU=20
  statements on slavery issue<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV align=3Dleft><B>Both the UI and WSU Presidents issued statements =
about the=20
  slavery issue and the use of UI facilities for a conference sponsored =
by an=20
  organization supporting slavery.&nbsp; Both are reprinted =
below.&nbsp;=20
  BL<BR>--<BR>WSU website address for this statement: <A=20
  class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.wsu.edu/president/11-12-letter-from-president.html">h=
ttp://www.wsu.edu/president/11-12-letter-from-president.html</A><BR><BR>=
</B>November=20
  12, 2003 <BR>President V. Lane Rawlins <BR>Speaks Out for Diversity: =
<BR>An=20
  Open Letter to the University Community <BR>Last week I received =
several=20
  letters and e-mails concerning a proposed conference in Moscow, =
Idaho, that=20
  may include a defense of slavery as a major topic of discussion. I =
appreciate=20
  the information provided to me and I have asked members of our =
administration=20
  to look into the situation, discourage such presentations, and make =
our=20
  opposition known. Washington State University's leaders, including =
central=20
  administration and our regents, are deeply concerned about the social =
and=20
  racial climate for our students on our own campus and in our regional =
area.=20
  <BR>It is important you know that the planned conference to be held =
in=20
  February 2004 in rented space on the University of Idaho campus in =
Moscow has=20
  nothing to do with Washington State University or the Pullman =
community and we=20
  knew nothing about it until the recent responses came to us. The best =

  information we can obtain is that the conference is being arranged by =
a=20
  private organization based in Moscow, Idaho. The University of Idaho =
is not a=20
  sponsor and is not presenting this conference <BR>I expect that there =
is much=20
  provocative and fallacious material associated with this conference. =
Members=20
  of my staff have informed us about a booklet that defends slavery as =
a social=20
  institution. I want you to know that those views and others =
sympathetic to=20
  them are intellectually and morally reprehensible and unacceptable to =
me and=20
  to the leadership of WSU. Such views have no place here and I believe =
that all=20
  reasonable people will reject such malicious nonsense. In fact, you =
may have=20
  seen the follow-up article in the Daily News on the weekend of Nov. =
8-9 where=20
  historians from the University of Idaho, the University of Maryland =
and Duke=20
  University exposed the booklet for what it is, self-published =
propaganda=20
  disguised as history. <BR>As you know, diversity is an important =
value at WSU=20
  and we are working hard to create an environment where we can all =
live and=20
  work together in harmony and where we learn more about our different =
cultures=20
  and beliefs. We are devoting considerable university resources to the =

  recruitment of a more diverse faculty and student body as well as =
facilities=20
  and support, such as those in the new space for the multicultural =
centers. We=20
  also sponsor a number of major programs to educate our community on =
issues of=20
  race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, and religion. However, I =
am aware=20
  that there remains much to do and that the ugly heads of racism and=20
  intolerance can still be seen here. We have several opportunities in =
the next=20
  few months to reaffirm our commitment to our core values, which =
include=20
  greater diversity on this campus and the creation of a safe and open=20
  environment that is welcoming for women and men of all races, =
ethnicities,=20
  religions, and sexual orientations. I invite the entire community to =
help us=20
  prepare a program for Black History Month that will help call the =
attention of=20
  our university community to these important issues. <BR>We will do =
all that is=20
  in our legal power to discourage this conference in Idaho but, if it =
goes=20
  forward, I will request that our faculty and students develop a =
program to=20
  occur at the same time that will present a more truthful =
interpretation of=20
  slavery and our nation's racial history. I believe that the best way =
to combat=20
  propaganda is with presentations that are factual and truthful. =
Perhaps we can=20
  use this as a clarion call to all of us, as well as a reminder that =
there are=20
  still those among us who do not share our values. Through such =
activities, I=20
  hope we can involve more people across our campus in Black History =
Month and,=20
  as a university, use this time to strengthen our university =
commitment to=20
  diversity, cultural awareness, and a safe and open environment. We =
have opened=20
  dialog contact with the leadership of the University of Idaho, =
indicating our=20
  concerns about the planned conference. They too have serious =
concerns, and I=20
  believe we can develop some joint programming in direct contrast and=20
  opposition to any expressions such as those in the booklet mentioned =
above.=20
  <BR>If you wish to follow up with officials in Idaho, I suggest that =
you=20
  contact the Latah County Human Rights Task Force through its founder, =
Joann=20
  Muneta, about your concerns regarding the speakers for this =
conference. We are=20
  consulting directly with the Pullman Human Rights Commission as well. =
<BR>I am=20
  grateful to those who brought this conference to my attention. I ask =
everyone=20
  in the university community to work towards using this event to =
strengthen our=20
  opposition and speak out openly for the values we have adopted. We =
must come=20
  to realize that apathy is dangerous whenever there is active =
opposition.=20
  <BR>V. Lane Rawlins <BR>President <BR><B>--<BR>UI website address for =
this=20
  statement: <A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext=20
  =
href=3D"http://www.today.uidaho.edu/details.asp?id=3D2393&amp;sctn=3Dnew=
s">http://www.today.uidaho.edu/details.asp?id=3D2393&amp;sctn=3Dnews</A>=
<BR><BR>DIVERSITY=20
  STATEMENT FROM UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO ADMINISTRATION</B></DIV>November =
13,=20
  2003<BR><BR>By Gary Michael and Brian Pitcher<BR><BR>"The University =
of Idaho=20
  regards bigotry of any sort as intellectually abhorrent and morally=20
  reprehensible; it values the benefits of cultural diversity and =
pledges to=20
  students, prospective students, and the public that it will defend =
pluralism=20
  in the academic community; and warmly welcomes all men and women of =
good will=20
  without regard to their race, religion or ethnic =
background."<BR><BR>The=20
  University of Idaho reaffirmed those words and their inclusion in the =

  Faculty/Staff Handbook more than 15 years ago. They are clear, strong =
words=20
  that reflect the essence of an institution of higher learning. In =
light of the=20
  recent debate in Moscow concerning the nature of slavery in the =
American South=20
  before the Civil War, it is important to once again assert these =
words and the=20
  University of Idaho's unwavering commitment to human rights, =
diversity and=20
  academic integrity.<BR><BR>UI policies specifically prohibit =
discrimination=20
  and harassment on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national =
origin,=20
  gender, religion, disabilities, sexual orientation and veteran =
status. The UI=20
  continues to strive to create an inclusive, welcoming environment. =
Everyone=20
  must be free to live, work and study with respect and dignity and =
have the=20
  opportunity to realize their goals. We stand in solidarity with those =
who have=20
  been offended by recent events.<BR><BR>Any attempt to minimize, =
rationalize or=20
  recast the evils of slavery runs counter to the stated values of our=20
  institution. In addition, such views are contrary to the weight of =
established=20
  historical evidence and demonstrate a lack of academic integrity. =
When that=20
  pseudo-scholarship is distributed under the guise of an academic =
booklet, it=20
  is a chilling and disturbing reminder of our challenges on the fronts =
of=20
  diversity and human rights. <BR><BR>Some have suggested the =
university ban=20
  organizations that tolerate or appear to support such beliefs from =
meeting on=20
  campus. As tempting as that may be in this case, we must resist =
tampering with=20
  the First Amendment rights of all in hopes of squelching ideas with =
which we=20
  disagree. The University of Idaho has a long tradition of robust and =
vibrant=20
  debate on public issues. It is important to allow unpopular views to =
be heard,=20
  regardless of how controversial, distasteful or repugnant they are. =
To that=20
  end, the UI makes available non-academic space in the Student Union =
Building=20
  and Commons for rental by a wide variety of community groups with no =
review of=20
  the content of the presentations. This is consistent with U.S. =
Supreme Court=20
  decisions regarding equal access to facilities at public=20
  universities.<BR><BR>Our commitment to freedom of speech leads us to =
believe=20
  that the best way to counter views that run contrary to the =
university's=20
  principles is by providing a forum for a thorough discussion. In the=20
  marketplace of ideas, we are convinced that the truth will prevail. =
Already,=20
  there has been considerable discussion about diversity and human =
rights on=20
  campus, which is a positive development. We have faith that the =
process of=20
  open inquiry and responsible historical scholarship will illustrate =
the true=20
  nature of slavery and the challenges we still face as a =
society.<BR><BR>On=20
  Martin Luther King - Idaho Human Rights Day in January, the =
university and the=20
  larger community will launch a six-week program of lectures, =
read-ins,=20
  teach-ins, films and other activities culminating with the Lionel =
Hampton Jazz=20
  Festival, to celebrate Black History month and to highlight our =
ongoing=20
  pursuit of diversity and human rights. Please join us and add your =
voice to=20
  those who appreciate the richness cultural diversity adds to our =
community.=20
  <BR><BR><I>Gary Michael is the interim president of the University of =
Idaho.=20
  Brian Pitcher is UI's provost</I> </BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3AA43.2BC976A0--