[Vision2020] UI and WSU statements on slavery issue

Rob Keenan benjamin_barker@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:38:59 -0800

We're looking at two important (both equally valid) principles of free
speech.

No. 1 -- In the marketplace of ideas, the strong will survive. There is no
need to censor unpopular or "bad" opinions; these will naturally fade away
after time.

No. 2 -- "I may disagree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death
your right to say it." True in the days of Voltaire, still true today.

Rawlins, Michael and Pitcher understand these issues and are, in my opinion,
treating the controversy appropriately. I would be much more concerned if
they tried to cancel or forestall the event because they disagreed with the
content of the speech. This is what the Supreme Court likes to call "prior
review" and it don't go down so good 'round these parts.

ROB