[Vision2020] Diversity 1,2,3

Edna Wilmington edwilming@yahoo.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:27:40 -0800 (PST)

Melynda Huskey wrote:

> Racism is a self-perpetuating and systematic
> privileging of one socially constructed group
> at the expense of others. Racism in the U.S.
> confers unearned power on "white" people at the
> expense of others.

That's funny. For a moment I thought I was reading a
perfect definition of affirmative action. Substitute
"Affirmative action" in place of "Racism" and "certain
'deserving' minorities" in place of "white people" and
voila!: A splendid example of how pliable some folks'
notion of justice can be.

Oh, by the way, may I suggest we add the descriptive
"institutionalized" (as in governmentally and
commercially-sanctioned) to "systematic?"  The
philosophical and functional similarities between
affirmative action and "white privilege" among racist
Southerners gives me goose bumps. The former simply
applies more broadly, and quite literally, has a
different, albeit more colorful face.

It sure must be good to be the kings.  Then again, I'm
sure I must have this all wrong.

Edna Wilmington