[Vision2020] Re: Alturas

bjswan@moscow.com bjswan@moscow.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 01:39:09 GMT

To hear Bill London and Mike Curley talk about Alturas, one would think Alturas
is a huge siphon sucking the life out of Downtown Moscow and a big burden to
the local taxpayers.  And if the City Council votes to "drastically" change the
RTO Zoning by including the word "could," the siphon will get even bigger.
They have been touting "the sky is falling" line for the past 8 years.  In
reality, take an honest look at Alturas and judge for yourself.

Dan asked how many Downtown businesses have relocated to Alturas.  The answer
is ONE.  Anderson & Walker moved to Alturas about three years ago.  There is
now a retail store where Anderson & Walker used to be.  Moscow gained another
business that wasn't there before.  There are NO losses and NO vacant store
fronts because of Alturas.

Is it a burden on taxpayers?  Hardly.  Please look at the whole picture instead
of narrow little pieces.  Alturas now provides 82 living wage jobs and $3.7
million in salaries annually to Moscow and area residents.  It will also
contribute over $40,000 in taxes to Moscow School District this year.  What do
you think is the "buying power" of those 82 people?  Probably enough to keep
several Downtown businesses open and storefronts occupied.

What if you looked at the University of Idaho or Moscow School District in the
same narrow perspective as they are looking at Alturas?  Are the U-I and Moscow
School District tax subsidized?  Are they unfairly competing with private
colleges and schools?  Probably, but is the cost worth the benefit?  Of course.
How much are you individually paying for Alturas?  Is there a line item on your
tax bill for Alturas?  What is the cost to taxpayers?  Is this cost worth the
benefit of having 82 living wage jobs for people who contribute their $3.7
million back into the community?  I certainly hope so.

Show me any other community the size of Moscow where a private developer
successfully opened any kind of business park.  Pullman couldn't.  Neither
could Lewiston.  But Pullman and Lewiston are there and ready to compete with
us for the kinds of businesses we have in Alturas.  And rarely do you hear the
kind of anti-business drum in those communities that Mike and Bill keep
pounding.

It is unfortunate that some in Moscow do not appreciate clean businesses and
living wage jobs that keep our community strong and alive.

B. J. Swanson

           http://www.fsr.net/