[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Luke lukenieuwsma@softhome.net
Wed, 28 May 2003 22:34:20 -0700

Hello, Ted:

    On the issue of being openminded to all religions and teaching all
religions, we need to keep something in mind: there is only one true faith.
There is such a thing as absolute truth, and either a religion is true, or
it isn't. But they can't all be true at once - that is Pantheism. Allah
can't be the only god at the same time as the 30 million Hindu gods (that's
no hyperbole, BTW), at the same time as the trinitarian God! And since there
is only one truth, we need to find it. And when you've found it, you should
steer others towards it.
    If you found yourself locked in a huge maze with millions of confused
people and you found the one way out, then what's wrong with retracing your
steps and helping others to find the exit too?

> But you could say the same about numerous issues on which people hold
> opinionated and inflexible views: gay marriage, the death penalty, the war
> in Iraq, topless women.  Why waste time discussing these issues when it is
> rarely anyone budges from their opinions?

Because people live out what they believe. Muslims believe that their god is
the only one, and that they have the right to kill the "dogs and infidels"
that resist their religion, so they fly planes into towers and kill
thousands. Children are taught in schools that there is no god, and that
they are simply higher-evolved animals, and one day some of them come to
school and do what happens in nature all the time - they kill others of
their species! We need to discuss these things because your theology comes
out of your fingertips, and some can be persuaded to turn toward the light.

(And no, I don't hate Muslims.)

> No wonder the human race still is acting at the moral level of "cavemen"
at
> each others throats while we have the science and technology to kill
> everyone on earth.  People avoid honest open-minded debate about the
> fundamental ideologies and values, the underlying psychology and
> spirituality, that we use to adapt to the realities of human life, when
> these spiritual differences are at the core of human conflicts.

Right, and people need to realize there is only one true religion. When we
all believe the same thing and live like it, then will peace come. I believe
in Christ, and thus I must treat others as I would be treated. I believe
there was a sacrifice for my sins, and therefore I must realize that I am
undeserving of all good things. Therefore, when others offend me, I must
forgive, forgive, forgive. If everyone were to live as though God had
forgiven them of all their sins, then would peace come.

Luke Nieuwsma