[Vision2020] Religious Diversity Education

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 01:16:15 +0000

Luke et. al.

OK, the "chosen people" comment was meant with a bit of sarcasm, aimed at
people who look at their spirituality granting them special divine status as
"chosen people," whatever that might mean.

Sorry.

If you want to ignore or dismiss the possible validity of numerous diverse
religious faiths, you have lots of support for this attitude!

People often seek to avoid open confrontational debate or discussion that
questions fundamental religious issues which can determine beliefs on
everything from marriage to environmentalism to justifying war and killing:
some kind of blinders come on, perhaps an ideological sacred cow syndrome is
aroused, that leads many to think we should argue vehemently about financing
public schools or women's rights etc., but the basic underlying spiritual
values that we use to make these decisions are off limits to discussion:
this just insults people, it's a waste of time with circular never ending
arguments that go nowhere and convince no one.

But you could say the same about numerous issues on which people hold
opinionated and inflexible views: gay marriage, the death penalty, the war
in Iraq, topless women.  Why waste time discussing these issues when it is
rare anyone budges from their opinions?

No wonder the human race still is acting at the moral level of "cavemen" at
each others throats while we have the science and technology to kill
everyone on earth.  People avoid honest open-minded debate about the
fundamental ideologies and values, the underlying psychology and
spirituality, that we use to adapt to the realities of human life, when
these spiritual differences are at the core of human conflicts.

How can understanding and tolerance be expanded across the planet when we
regard attempting to engage in diverse and open minded spiritual discussion
or education as off limits?  If we adopted this attitude for everything,
we'd still believe the earth was flat and at the center of the universe.

I recall very little honest in depth discussion of the variety of spiritual
faiths and religions in the world while growing up here in the USA.  Not in
church, not in school or from teachers, not from my parents or peers,
NOWHERE!  It was assumed I would just follow whatever I was told on
spiritual matters without much question, it seems.  Understanding of other
religious faiths than Christianity, which is the faith I was raised in, was
filtered through oversimplifying stereotypes.

I think the public schools should offer in depth required courses studying
all the major world religions, even minor ones if students wish, to increase
understanding and respect across religious faiths, without advocacy, of
course.

I think many are afraid of finding out their deeply held convictions just
might be wrong, atheists and agnostics included.  And that questioning
religious ideology, when it is viewed as the glue holding society together
and providing moral structure, could make the wheels come off the whole
show!

Best not to question too deeply.

Ted