[Vision2020] Idaho public school makes national news

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Tue, 27 May 2003 20:19:48 -0700

Donovan writes:
> Dale Courtney predictably asked, as Strom Thurmond had once asked:
> "If *parents* wanted to have their children in such an environment, would
> you support the parents in their choices for their children?"

It's interesting that when I stand up for parental choice in education, I'm
equated with as a racist. Have we really fallen to such a place in the
United States where parental choice is likened to a racist choice? How sad.

> I will answer this in four parts to make sure he understands.
> 1) "Would I support a parent's right to choose to have their children go
> a school segregated by race, disability, religion or Gender, on MY TAX
> DOLLARS"? No, I would not. If I am going to pay for their child to go to
> school I would want to make sure it was a just school that gave each child
> fair shake in every subject regardless of these factors.

Funny how you support *my* tax dollars going to educate children in a system
that *you* agree with. But you wouldn't support *your* tax dollars going to
support a system that *I* agree with. That's mighty tolerant and
broad-minded of you.

> This is the same argument made for NOT desegregating public schools on the
> basis of race. Parents were strongly opposed to the idea of having their
> children in the same classroom as a Black person.

Not *all* parents were racist; but nice try.

> This was a decision that
> they thought was best for their children. Would you support desegregation,
> or segregation Dale? Try supporting gender segregation without making the
> ones used 50 years ago.
> Decisions for children made by parents are sometimes bad ones (does not
mean
> that there is ill intent) it just happens.

Another mindless, egalitarian argument. If I want to educate my children
only around one-armed Hittites, I have the right to. The choice may be a
poor one; but since I last checked, we still live in a free country where
people have the right to make choices -- even poor ones.

> If the school tells them their
> child is better off, who would not want them better off.

Who is "the school"? The educational elite? Those with the Ed.D. degree?

> Finally, Dale, I will ask you the same question:
> "Would you support the parents decision that wanted their child to attend
> classes of mixed gender to develop those skills in this same school
> district?

It's the *parent's* decision, not yours for them; not mine for them. I may
disagree with how they choose to educate their children -- they may even
choose to put them in the VoTech government school system; but they have the
right to educate their children as they think is best for them. If you think
having your kids in mixed-gender school is important, then have at it! But
don't impose your prejudices on the rest of the people who may disagree with
you.

> And if so, how would you make that right compatible in an
> environment where classes were segregated?"

I'm a economic Libertarian; I'm against government education and
indoctrination, I wouldn't worry about making that "right" compatible to
your standards. That's the parent's choice and responsibility; but I'm sure
every parent in Moscow feels safer knowing that you are looking over their
shoulders, keeping your best interests on their children.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho