[Vision2020] Moscow Planning and Zoning Agenda Wed 5/28

Bill London london@moscow.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 08:47:15 -0700

--------------40A46DBB54BF4F95E742F774

BJ and all....
You are mixing apples and oranges in your attack on my posting.
When Alturas was pitched to the citizens of Moscow years ago, it was as
a tech park to lure new businesses to stay in Moscow.  As were many
others, I was convinced then that it was worth a try.
However, that is not what it has become.  I am glad that several high
tech businesses have located there, providing jobs, tax money etc.  What
I have repeatedly complained about is the transformation of that tech
park into a professional mall (with offices for attorneys, accountants,
and now possibly a day care center).
I am sure that building a whole new town and a wide collection of retail
and professional businesses there would be great fun for the people who
work there.
But that is not what the taxpayers of Moscow were promised in exchange
for their tax support of Alturas.  It is also a little problematic in
terms of sprawl and downtown loss.
And, even if I don't own a calculator, I will try to respond to the
questions you raise:

>      -Remember, Eastside Marketplace was a sore-eye, in foreclosure
> and 18% occupied when Alturas began.
>
> Yes, I remember Eastside Marketplace was a loser then, but I do not
> think Alturas had anything to do with its turnaround.  More likely,
> the new owners and their infusion of capital, plus a rebound in local
> economy made it happen. BL
>
>      -Remember, the tax assessed value of the Urban Renewal District
> has increased about $8 million dollars since 1996. Do you seriously
> believe it would have increased that much without Alturas and the jobs
> it created?
>

> The district is a large area (including Tidymans and the Eastside Mall
> etc). Again Alturas is a small part of that increase.
> BL
>      -Remember, there are about 70 jobs in Alturas that pay over $3
> million dollars in salaries every year.  Salaries to people who live
> in Moscow, pay taxes here, spend money here.
>
> As noted above, I think hightech jobs in Moscow are great.  Does that
> have anything to do with diluting the park concept with non-tech
> office businesses? BL
>
>      -Remember, several of the businesses in Alturas derive revenue
> solely from outside of Moscow, not recycled but NEW money that comes
> into the community and stays here.
>
> See previous answer BL
>
>      -Remember, Alturas contributed about $35,000 in tax money to
> Moscow School District last year, not counting the state payment to
> schools for the children of Alturas employees (possibly another
> $150,000).  Would you, as a taxpayer, like to pay higher taxes to the
> school district if Alturas was not here?  Taxpayer subsidy by whom??
>
> See previous answer. BL

--------------40A46DBB54BF4F95E742F774

BJ and all....
as a tech park to lure new businesses to stay in Moscow.&nbsp; As were
many others, I was convinced then that it was worth a try.
high tech businesses have located there, providing jobs, tax money etc.&nbsp;
What I have repeatedly complained about is the transformation of that tech
park into a professional mall (with offices for attorneys, accountants,
and now possibly a day care center).
and professional businesses there would be great fun for the people who
work there.
for their tax support of Alturas.&nbsp; It is also a little problematic
in terms of sprawl and downtown loss.
questions you raise:
-Remember, Eastside Marketplace was a sore-eye, in foreclosure and 18%
was a loser then, but I do not think Alturas had anything to do with its
turnaround.&nbsp; More likely, the new owners and their infusion of capital,
plus a rebound in local economy made it happen. BL</font></font>
-Remember, the tax assessed value of the Urban Renewal District has increased
about $8 million dollars since 1996. Do you seriously believe it would
Tidymans and the Eastside Mall etc). Again Alturas is a small part of that
increase.</font></font>
-Remember, there are about 70 jobs in Alturas that pay over $3 million
dollars in salaries every year.&nbsp; Salaries to people who live in Moscow,
in Moscow are great.&nbsp; Does that have anything to do with diluting
the park concept with non-tech office businesses? BL</font></font>
Alturas derive revenue solely from outside of Moscow, not recycled but
-Remember, Alturas contributed about $35,000 in tax money to Moscow School
District last year, not counting the state payment to schools for the children
of Alturas employees (possibly another $150,000).&nbsp; Would you, as a