[Vision2020] Idaho public school makes national news

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Wed, 28 May 2003 07:37:39 -0700

Donovan wrote:
> I think you misunderstood me. I was not equating you to a racist. I was
> equating your ideas as a segregationist.

The purpose of Dixiecrat segregation was their racism -- hence your
comparison of my ideas with Strom Thurman.

There are different forms of segregation -- from race-based segregation to
separate bathroom facilities. All forms of segregation are not inherently
evil, just becuase some are.

> If you knew your history you would
> know that Strom Thurmond ran for President in 1948 on the "States Rights
> Party" on the platform of segregation. He made the same arguments you and
> numerous others in the Southern states he captured in the election on
> keeping public schools segregated. Some were exactly the same words you
> used.

And therefore you've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Thurmond pushed
for racial segregation, therefore all segregation is wrong?

I think that you have *completely* misunderstood what I have posted. I'm not
arguing for or against single-gender classes. I *am* arguing for the rights
of parents to choose that form of education that they think is best for
their child/children. These parents in Kimberly, Idaho
(http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05/26/single.gender.classes.ap/index.html
), have chosen to go with single-gender classes and are seeing tangible
benefits. If they think that's the best learning environment for their
children, then great! Have at it!

We'll see in the years to come whether parents have the right to educate
their children as they see fit -- or as liberals mandate.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho