[Vision2020] Counselors Within the MSD

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Mon, 19 May 2003 09:51:41 -0700

Greetings Visionaires -

Question 1:  Does the Moscow School District employ counselors at each of
the grade school, junior high school, and high school levels?  I assume they
do.  This leads to my second question.

Question 2:  Are these counselor positions held by certified teachers?  If
so, this would count against the teacher/student ratio (as it applies to
classroom instruction).  If not, what are the qualifications of these
counselors?

To some people on this listserve, student counselling may be looked at as an
insignificant additional duty of a teacher.  I am certain that the staff,
faculty, and parents at Columbine High School in Colorado would disagree.
It is my opinion, these counselors should not be assigned classes to
instruct, thus allowing easier access to these counselors by the students.

Any thoughts?