[Vision2020] 1912 Building

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 12:20:34 -0700

Amen, Bill.  I'll note that there are several recent examples of this kind
of community effort in Moscow.  Most notably, the Moscow Food Co-op can
thank volunteers for much of the renovation of its new location, as well as
much of the relocation effort.  Additionally, when Book People moved across
main street, volunteers formed a "bucket brigade," passing books from
person to person, moving the inventory from the old location to the new.  I
understand that some of the remodeling of the new location was bartered, as
well.

I am the member of at least two (maybe three or more!) local organizations
that would entertain trading sweat equity for office space.  It's time for
City Council to think small!

Bob

At 11:49 AM 5/18/2003 -0700, Bill London wrote:
>     A recent article in the Daily News indicated the Moscow City Council
>is looking for a way to unload responsibility for the 1912 Building.
>Maybe the council is ready to look at new and creative ways to make that
>project come to life.
>     In their frustration, I hope they do not kill the project instead.
>The vision of a real community center is a good one, and besides we
>should remember that our community has a responsibility to the generous
>anonymous donor who supplied more than $2 million for the renovation
>project.  The city accepted the money and should follow through.
>     I hope the council has learned that handing large piles of money to
>consultants and professional fundraisers is a waste.  If it wasn't
>obvious at the start, it sure is now.
>     Maybe the council is ready to look in an innovative direction.  How
>about to the use of sweat equity to complete the project?
>     Sweat equity means that individuals or groups wanting to benefit
>from the project would help build it, using their own labor (sweat) and
>materials.  That is the way Habitat for Humanity and other organizations
>get their work done.
>     The two top floors of the 1912 Building need to be renovated and
>filled.  There are non-profit community organizations of various kinds
>in Moscow that need a home.  Each one of those organizations has members
>or volunteers who could (under the direction of their own skilled
>people, as well as the supervision of Randy Rice and the city staff) do
>the necessary work.
>     When organizations and individuals work on a project they develop
>feelings of ownership.  They support the project--and thus would use and
>appreciate the building.  It builds not only the building itself, but
>also the support and interest of the people that will make the building
>into a real community center.
>     Several months ago, I pitched this idea to some representatives of
>local community groups.  The response was very positive.  Then I
>contacted Gary Riedner and Randy Rice of the city administration.  No
>way.  They hated the idea.
>     Well, maybe the city is desperate enough now to consider using the
>real power of this community: the initiative and spirit of its citizens.
>
>BL

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>           mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com

Bob Hoffmann