[Vision2020] MSD student-teacher/certified staff ratios

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 09:59:27 -0700

o wants them the
statistics on actual number of elementary students
enrolled in every class at every elementary school as well
as the averages per grade level throughout the district.
Exact numbers for each class at the junior and senior high
schools should also be available although the number of
students in "core" classes such as English, math, and
science are probably most instructive (least susceptible to
the aberrations Mr. Kaag mentioned).

For what it's worth, the averages that were projected last
year were about 20.3 per class K-3, about 22.7 per class K-
6.  Those numbers assumed an elementary enrollment of
1197 and were made before (but in anticipation of a
successful) levy.

Again, for what it's worth, the student to certified staff ratio

for MSD has exceeded state averages for the last 6 years.
The lowest ratio was 01-02 at 13.1 students per certified
staff member.

As Don Kaag pointed out, there are certified staff
members each year who perform essentially
adminstrative functions in MSD.  While that fact distorts
the actual classroom teacher per student ratio, it also
under-reports administrative ratios and expenses.  The
district, of course, knows that and Sue Driskill tracks
actually classroom teacher expense and actual
adminstrative expense for both accounting and future
budget purposes.  The state requires the certified staff to
student ratios to be reported as such.  The district is not
misleading the state when it reports that statistic.
However, given the distortions noted by others on this list,
it is hard to imagine what real value that particular
statistic, standing alone, has to anyone.

Mike Curley

data source:  Adminstrative Council's Recommendation
for Services Subject to a Levy, MSD, Feb. 2002.