[Vision2020] MSD Student-to-Teacher ratio

Van Deventer, Jack jack@wsu.edu
Thu, 15 May 2003 21:39:25 -0700

Thanks for the note, Don.  I see your point, but the four points you raised
are equally applicable to all the other school districts as well.  I
appreciate your personal observations, but MSD reported 15.22 students per
teacher for a reason.

Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Kaag
To: Vision 2020
Sent: 5/15/03 8:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] MSD Student-to-Teacher ratio

Jack:

I didn't accuse Dale of anything, and I certainly didn't abuse him.  He
is a gentleman, as am I.

I illustrated my point, I believe, in a reasonable fashion, with
examples.

Since I have the advantage of actually teaching kids in the Moscow
School District to add to my arguments, and being able to physically
count heads in my classroom, it seems that I should know more about how
many of them there are, vice scanning a statistical abstract issued by
the State Department of Education.

By the way, the ISAT results are published, and we as a District scored
high in the state.  We must be doing something right.

Regards,

Don Kaag

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 07:36 PM, Van Deventer, Jack wrote:

> This is really interesting.
> Dale Courtney quotes the State of Idaho's annual statistical report.
> Don Kaag accuses Dale of oversimplifying.
> Donovan Arnold says "Statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics"
>
> These replies sound like the old adage, "If you have no argument,
> abuse the
> plaintiff."
>
> If you guys don't like the stats, shouldn't you be going after MSD for
> providing them and the State of Idaho for reporting them?
>
> Jack
> Jack Van Deventer
> jack@wsu.edu

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,