[Vision2020] Your Position on the War in Iraq

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 06:32:18 -0800

Greetings Visionaires -

Joe Huffman stated:

"I am of the opinion it is not possible for me (nor anyone else without the
security clearances and "the need to know") to know for certain if Iraq
posed a threat to the U.S."

Agreed, Mr. Huffman.  We cannot be certain whether Saddam Hussein poses a
threat to the shores of the United States.   But, I seriously believe in
looking out for your brother and that one hand does wash the other.  In some
aspects I still am a bit of a political isolationist and not getting
involved in other people's problems is the correct course of inaction.  But,
I also believe that we are a better people than that.  It is a dilemma that
I consider every time our troops are sent "over there", even without a
proper security clearance nor the need to know.

We have three options:

1)  Continue with the war and eliminate Saddam Hussein and his regime,
hoping for a quick end (which is not likely), or

2)  We can return to the UN "debates" and 20 years from now attempt to
enforce UN Resolution 9999926-2025 against Saddam's son, or

3)  We can simply walk away from it all, bury our heads in the sand, and
pretend this is all not happening.

I further agree with you, Mr. Huffman,  we do not know what the
CIA/ATF/INS/FBI know about Saddam Hussein.  Maybe your implication is
correct.  Maybe Saddam Hussein is just a poor, misguided sole that really
needs our understanding, love, and aid.  And maybe Hitler was simply a paper
hanger that made a bad career move.  Maybe the Holocaust is a myth.

I seriously don't think so.  If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, .
. . (well, you know the rest).

Having faith in all people (but keeping my powder dry),

Pro Patria

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime." --Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.