[Vision2020] Your Position on the War in Iraq

Joe Huffman JoeH@turbonet.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:24:41 -0800

I am of the opinion it is not possible for me (nor anyone else without the
security clearances and "the need to know") to know for certain if Iraq
posed a threat to the U.S.  Given that, I haven't really formed an opinion
one way or the other.  To me it boils down to a question of trust.  Do I
trust Bush and his advisors are defending the country, as required by the
constitution, as opposed to some other motive such as personal profit or
gaining political power?  I can't convince myself with any degree of
certainty of any of the multitude of plausible hypothesis.

Given this I wonder how it is that others manage to have such conviction in
their opinions.  There are only two things I see as plausible:

1) They have access to knowledge I don't -- this seems unlikely in most
cases.
2) The correct view of the world and it's events is much simpler than I
believe it to be -- again this seems unlikely.  I suspect the world and it's
events are much more complex that I can imagine.

Therefore I conclude that people with a strong opinion on both sides of the
issue are wrong -- perhaps one side or the other is correct in their
conclusion but almost for certain they are wrong in having a strong opinion
about it.

-joe-
P.S.  I'm a bit behind in my email and just read Don Kaag's email about "as
soon as the Iraqi armor clears the suburbs, every airplane in the inventory
will take turns turning them
into junk."  I suspect he is wrong on this.  I think it would be more like a
"feeding frenzy" than "taking turns".  Provided a sandstorm doesn't conceal
them from the visual, IR, RF, and any other sensors (such as ground
observers) available to the pilots.
----
http://www.joehuffman.org
http://www.modernballistics.com