[Vision2020] Your Position on the War in Iraq

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:56:45 -0800

Garrett -

About a month or so ago (during the UN "debates"), I felt that military
action against Iraq while the inspections were still being conducted was
wrong.  I felt that if there was a way to quell this problem without an
armed conflict, I was all for it.  To me, war does not prove who is right,
only who is left.

But, I believe we all knew where Diplomacy Road was taking us.  And here we
are.  Over the past month or so I have developed a strong distaste for the
French.  Prior to 9/11 (and to this day), I blamed the French for Vietnam.
My grandfather, a WW1 combat veteran was not treated well at all by the
French.  My father, a WW2 combat veteran and former POW, dislikes the French
with a passion.  He was treated better by the local Germans, after being
liberated (although he bombed their countryside), than he was by the French.

I preface my comments with this reflection to give you an idea of how I
currently feel about diplomacy with the French.  My opinion about the
French, coupled with what we know about Saddam (the worst tyrant since
Hitler), leads me to believe that I cannot find comfort in attempting to
resolve this through peaceful diplomacy.  I believe we crossed that bridge a
while ago and there is no going back.

In this case you can do things right or you can do the right thing.  Being a
retired Army NCO (half my career in administration and half in the
infantry), I seriously believe we are doing the right thing.

I have absolutely no animosity toward anti-war protestors.  We all want the
same thing.  We all want to see our troops return home safely.  There most
definitely is two sides to this argument and I respect your right to proudly
proclaim and actively pursue your convictions as I am sure that you do mine.

Things are going to get alot uglier before the smoke finally clears.  I only
hope that both sides can calmly agree to disagree and acknowledge that we
all went through this together when the troops come home.

Until then, we should take care of ourselves and each other.

Always,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime." --Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.