[Vision2020] Tuition for a public education?

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:39:55 -0800

eful about how we
define those who attend summer school.  True, there are
some, maybe many, students there who are making up a
class they previously failed, foreign exchange students are
not the only other group who need or want summer
school classes.  Some want to graduate early.  Some need
to take a class in summer school because course offerings
are limited during the year.  That is especially true for
band students, whose entire schedule is constructed
around the only time slot that band meets.  Additionally
the MSD has a relatively high number of credits that are
required (in excess of state requirements), AND it has
what some think is a rather pointless set of "strand"
requirements that can complicate scheduling.  Some
students can be knocked off track in a class because they
can have 4 or 5 of their teachers change at semester even
though they are taking the same subjects.

	Illness can also be a factor in causing a student to
drop or fail one or more classes and then need to pick up
a credit or two in the summer.

	In any event, there are a number of legitimate
educational reasons why a student might take one or
more summer school classes in addition to those Don
mentioned in his post.

	John Danahy's point is certainly worthy of
consideration and discussion.  If the primary goal of the
district is the education of the students, does it make
sense to fund extracurricular activities (from Ecology Club
to sports) to the tune of over $500,000 per year and yet not
fund summer school?  The entire summer school budget
may be less than the football (or soccer or basketball)
program budget.  We could probably generate a fair
debate about which of those groups (summer schoolers,
football/soccer/basketball players) should fund their
program's expense.

Mike Curley