[Vision2020] Boxing vs. Fighting

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 13:57:29 -0800

--------------14707CCEA36FAA153C1D2E80

Thanks to Rosemary for her homework. Though I can't authoritatively
speak on behalf of the Bonhom Boxing Club, as one of the founders of the
club, I will venture to comment.
    We are not (nor have we claimed to be) members of Boxing USA. In
order for fighters to begin an amateur boxing career each fighter would
have to be registered with Boxing USA, the club sponsoring the event
would have to be BUSA sanctioned (along with the event and all of the
officials). If I had fought and lost in a BUSA event, then I would be
officially 0-1. As it is, I fought and lost in an interclub exhibition
match. It is no different than if I were sparring and lost, except a lot
more people watched. In otherwords, I still have not ever had an
official amateur bout (I'm 0-0. Neat.).
    The Fight Night we hosted was not BUSA sanctioned and so none of
those fights officially go onto anyone's records. The BBC is still
young, and our primary goals still involve rent and not registering with
BUSA. We are not a public club, we are not a business. We are a group of
folks who know eachother and all wanted to learn (or wanted sons to
learn) to box. Wayne Browning of Moscow Realty, with decades of boxing
and training experience, agreed to teach us. We had a fight night to pay
for the purchase of a ring.
    I would like to see the club reach the point where we, and
individual fighters, are BUSA registered, and where we can host fights
that go onto official records, affect national amateur standings, and
can qualify fighters for national and international tournaments, but I'm
afraid we're just not there yet. There'll have to be a few more
exhibition fights first. Though once we are a BUSA club, I can't say
that I expect the reactions of some towards big fight nights to be any
less squeamish. "It's fine. They're registered with BUSA. Sanctioned
fighting doesn't bother me." Cheers.

Nate Wilson

--------------14707CCEA36FAA153C1D2E80