[Vision2020] Alternatives to Child Abuse, Brain Damage

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 23:06:23 +0000

David, et. al.

The fact there may not currently be any members of BBC as vision2020
subscribers in no way detracts from the relevance and appropriateness of the
questions and research regarding children's boxing that Rosemary has
presented to vision2020.

Could not her questions on vision2020 be an invitation for a member of BBC
to join the list, and thus answer these questions for the edification of all
subscribers?  The more vision2020 subscribers, the more value of the list to
the community, right?

And besides, there is obvious potential for abuse in children's boxing.
Maybe boxing matches with children should be accepted in the community,
maybe they should not.  But an activity that can result in brain damage to a
child is important to publicly examine from every angle, and should be of
concern to everyone.

All questions and information regarding this issue are fair game to be
presented on vision2020 in light of their importance to the quality of life
in the community we are moving towards.

Adults encouraging children to hit each other in the head, even with
headgear and supervision, is just plain stupid.  Does anyone think this
adult endorsement of fist fighting will not send a message to children that
fist fighting is OK, which could then spill over into unsupervised street
fights between children, where there is more chance that serious injury can
occur?

Whoever endorses boxing between children must admit they are putting
children in the path of harm, for whatever gain they think is derived from
this activity.  Everything in life has a risk, but it is only common sense
to not place children in risky activities if there are safer alternatives.

There are other in your face and visceral outlets for aggression and
physical contest (wrestling for example) that can provide children with the
psychological and physical benefits of sporting competition without the high
risk behavior of encouraging powerful blows to the head.

Ted