[Vision2020] Arrest aftermath

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:58:44 -0800

Dear visionaries,

With regard to Bob's posting, of course it is a logical possibility that a
Christian sinning is doing so because of his Christianity, or his form of it.

Sin in a congregation can be a failure to live up to the standards of the
group. But (because there are whacked-out cults) there are also instances
when sin is *because* of obedience to the standards of the group. In a
fallen world, people get sick. When they do, some of them congregate in
hospitals for treatment. Some of them congregate less hygienic places where
they infect one another.

To go back to the rotten apple analogy, it is true that one bad apple
doesn't spoil the whole barrel. But this does not make a barrel full of bad
apples a logical impossibility.

The question is whether or not there is such a thing as religious
pathology. I know we agree there is. The respectable way to refer to one
form of it is "fundamentalist Islam." We agree in principle. What I have
broached is the question of whether or not the Muslim fundamentalists are
more consistent or inconsistent with the Koran than their more moderate
brethren. In a world where every two days someone is blowing himself up
(along with others) in the name of Allah, I think it is a fair question.

And, if it gets to a certain level, it will stop being asked. In 1943,
nobody in America was asking whether or not the Hitlerites were the true
representatives of Nazism. Whether they were or not, they were the ones we
had to fight.

Cordially,

Douglas