[Vision2020] Either The Punch Is Dodged Or It Connects!

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 01 Mar 2003 21:16:05 +0000

Doug, et. al.

Ah yes, those relativistic (oh, excuse me, I mean many-dimensional)
interpretations of the Bible that conveniently are exploited by whoever is
doing the interpreting to justify whatever ethical principle they wish to
support, regardless of the total moral contradictions that may arise.   Need
to back a war?  Somewhere in the Bible you will find a clever parable to
unleash the violence with great moral gusto.  Thus we get a multitude of war
crazed Christians.  Is pacifism more to your liking?  The Bible stands ready
to do ethical service as the tool box of ethical justifications with an
almost endless supply of moral directives on a multitude of subjects.  Thus
we see numerous Christians who reject all violence and war, and what a
relief this is!

Doug, you are much too intelligent to insult us with this cliché about
modernity and either/or thinking.  There are many people who fit this
imprecise and loosely defined concept of "modernity" who also adopt a
multidimensional mode of cognition that rejects extreme either/or thinking.

Perhaps you also adopt an extreme either/or mode of thought when you assert
(if you do) that your Trinitarianism is correct and those who follow
"modernity,"  whatever that is exactly, are somehow misled.
Or will you concede (please, just a smidgen of doubt about your position
would inspire glee!) that your metaphysical assumptions might be false and
also that people who follow "modernity" might have some integrity to their
thinking?

Either Trinitarianism or Modernity, right Doug?   If someone tried to
combine the two worldviews, would you vehemently object?  Now, don't tell me
they contradict each other in a manner that precludes such a merging!  If
you do, I suggest you are employing the same either/or thinking you
criticize in those who follow modernity.

Ted