[Vision2020] Meeting Educational Needs

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:58:32 +0000

Rose et. al.

The fact that private schools do not provide services for the handicapped
sometimes, and also exclude other children for a variety of reasons, thus
making public schools necessary if we assume that all children regardless of
background should have a chance at becoming educated, that has been gone
over repeatedly on V2020.

I don't think Rose H. or John H. are going to modify each others positions.
Nor will some of the individuals I have exchanges with on V2020 alter their
thinking one iota due to my pleas.

Some on V2020 complain of the repeated debates that seem to go nowhere.

The question therefore is, is anybody else being encouraged to think about
these issues when exposed to these polarized exchanges?  This is one reason
to justify debates between people whose entrenched thinking is well known:
to facilitate public discussion of important issues to an audience that has
some interest.

Which leads me to what should be, I'm naive and idealistic enough to
believe, one of the main goals of providing public education to all
children:  the argument that one of the cornerstones of a democratic society
is a literate well informed public capable of critical logical thought which
will facilitate the participation of the public in the electoral process so
that our leaders truly represent the people and do not deceive us, or seize
dictatorial control.

This is a critical justification to pony up taxes to pay for a public
educational system:  it is essential to the healthy functioning of a
democracy.

In saying this I am not claiming that the current public school system
achieves the goal just outlined.

Current behavior in the electorate appears to bolster this opinion.

Of course, when we have millions in the USA who wish to control their
children to prevent too much of that critical logical thinking from
corrupting their children's minds with blasphemous thoughts, well, no wonder
the public schools come under fire from certain groups.

If MSD had the highest test scores in the nation, and spent less per pupil
than any private school, some local critics of MSD would be even more
horrified by success than they are by the alleged failures.  After all, they
have religious grounds to hate what MSD teaches, and successes by MSD would
just render the agenda of bringing down the public schools more difficult,
while successfully educating students in habits of thought regarded as
heretical.

Ted