[Vision2020] Email and Libel

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:30:31 -0700

Mr. Hoffman:

I did not make that statement that you credited to me.  I was quoting
another subscriber and rebutting his statement.  Suggest that you ensure
that your qotes and credits are more accurate, ok?

Thank you,

Tom Hansen

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Hoffmann [mailto:escape@alt-escape.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 9:11 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Email and Libel

At 06:25 PM 6/24/2003 -0700, Tom Hansen wrote:
>"Libel: Published words or pictures that falsely and maliciously defame a
>person. Libel is published defamation; slander is spoken.
>Defamation: That which tends to injure a persons reputation. Libel is
>published defamation, whereas slander is spoken. "

I'm not a lawyer, but here's my understanding of the matter.

To sustain this charge in court, you must prove:

1. The defendant knew that the statements were false (whereas the defendant
in this case could probably get off with a credible insanity defense)
2. The statements were believed by the public (no sign of that here), and
3. The statements resulted in some injury, damage, or loss to the maligned
party (again, no sign of that here).

Of course, to sue, it helps if the defendant has property or income, and is
not, as is the case at hand, a vagrant.

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843