[Vision2020] University dollars

Mark Seman FCS@Moscow.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:08:24 -0700

Tim,
Have you been through Grangeville lately?  I went through on the way to Elk
City for the first time in 5 years and was amazed at the revamped downtown
and growth of the area.  It will always have a different aura & character
than Moscow, but it definitely has community spirit and commitment going for
it.  More so than I've see evident here.

I've seen this in many of the small towns of the Palouse.  Maybe because it
is more difficult to get this camaraderie from larger groups that Moscow has
trouble with it.  No doubt Moscow would be worse-off without UI, but the
situation could also be improved.  There are numerous ways this community
could be improved and most of us try to help in our own small (or
not-so-small) way.

I think Phil makes a legitamate point about the local business impact of
University decision makers, deciding on holding game out of the Palouse.
Maybe their own agendas get forwarded by doing so, but there are local
repercusions as well.  Finding the problems are the easy part, I don't have
any solutions.  I trust thoughtful planning is used to consider multiple
options, and decisions are not just self-centered.

Mark,
Mark & Heather Seman
Full Circle Studios
828 South Washington, Suite B