[Vision2020] Humanist Quotes That Have Recently Been Overlooked

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:38:04 -0700

Golly!  In less than a minute of searing I found the following quotes at
www.AmericanHumanist.org.

Humanists recognize that it is only when people feel free to think for
themselves, using reason as their guide, that they are best capable of
developing values that succeed in satisfying human needs and serving human
interests. * ISAAC ASIMOV - scientist, author, and past president of the
American Humanist Association.

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept
which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal
outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining
morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based
effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious
basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be
restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. * ALBERT
EINSTEIN - scientist, Nobel Prizewinner in physics, originator of the theory
of relativity.

When we speak of equality, of women and men, of Blacks and Whites, of all
the world's people, we are talking about humanism. * GLORIA STEINEM -
founder of Ms.magazine, Humanist Pioneer Awardee.

Humanism, in all its simplicity, is the only genuine spirituality. * ALBERT
SCHWEITZER - accepting the Nobel Peace Prize.

Humanism is a philosophy of joyous service for the greater good of all
humanity, of application of new ideas of scientific progress for the benefit
of all. * LINUS PAULING - scientist, Humanist of the Year in 1961, Nobel
Prize in chemistry in 1954, Nobel Peace Prize in 1962.

Our nation's founders saw a free press and an educated citizenry as the twin
pillars of democratic health. But we no longer live in their world of
numerous small, independent presses. These days, the vast majority of
Americans get their news from corporately-owned information monoliths and
from their local newspapers, most of them corporate subsidiaries as well.
That is why humanism and the Humanist magazine are so important. Won't you
join us today? * KURT VONNEGUT - author, lecturer, philanthropist and
honorary president of the American Humanist Association.

Yes, Mr. Harrell.  Add the above names to your list of mind controlling,
child abusers. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

Take Care,

Tom Hansen