[Vision2020] Republican morphology

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:27:37 -0800

I agree with you 100%, Mr. London.  Two current programs that King George is
trying to push through Congress come to mind.

1)  Offering senior citizens low-cost prescription drugs if they terminate
their Medicare.

2)  Exempting dividend checks from taxation.  Republicans claim that over 50
million households currently receive dividend checks.  Reducing this to the
overall dollar amount of dividends, who do you think receives the majority?
Certainly not middle- and low-income families.

Item #2, above, will vastly increase the national deficit.  And who do you
think is going to suffer the most from this deficit?  Certainly not the
ENRONs of the world.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill London [mailto:london@moscow.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 9:23 AM
To: Douglas
Cc: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: [Vision2020] Republican morphology

And what surprises me is the transition the Republican Party has made away
from several of their traditional platform planks (at least what I remember
from a couple of decades ago)
I can remember when the Republicans hated budget deficits.  Now they embrace
them with tax cuts and spending increases--what a combo.
I can remember when the Republicans hated big government.  Now they love
giving incredible police powers to a new "Homeland Security" department.
BL

Douglas wrote:

> Visionaries,
>
> What is astounding to me is how advocates of big government can be
> surprised when suddenly it morphs into Empire (i.e. bigger government).
> There is no doubt in my mind that we have entered the era of the American
> Empire. As empires go, I suppose it will be relatively benevolent, but
> that's no reason to pretend it is something else.
>
> Our circumstances are unique. Under previous empires, there was a
> possibility of two or three of the second tier states banding together and
> giving the top dog a run for its money. But the U.S. military now has as
> much fire-power as the combined forces of the next twenty countries down,
> all put together.
>
> In the meantime, the Constitution continues to act as the Queen Mum of
> American politics, waving at us all from the balcony.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Douglas
>
> P.S. This take of mine should in no way be taken as sympathy for Saddam,
> who deserves everything he is going to get good and hard, or as some sort
> of common ground with the Religion of Peace. I speak of these things with
> scientific detachment.

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,
>           mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com

 List services made available by First Step Internet,