[Vision2020] Free Speech and Crazy Bush

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:12:40 +0000

Tom et. al.

I tend to sympathize with the Kurds and their desire for national
sovereignty in a new nation some want to call "Kurdistan."  But one of the
forgotten tales of terrorism is how with US military aid our ally Turkey has
waged a campaign of dislocation of residents and decimation of Kurdish held
villages and towns in Turkey.  Of course Turkey claims they are defending
themselves against Kurdish terrorism.  But Turkey has waged an equally cruel
campaign against the Kurds in Turkey as anything Saddam has done against
Kurds in Iraq territory, except for the often cited gassing incident.  Odd
how the facts of Turkish abuses against the Kurds have been rather absent
from the US media, yet Saddam's cruelty against the Kurds is well know!

If we were to arm the Kurds in Iraq to the point where they could threaten
Saddam, Turkey would be most unhappy!  This is one of the difficult
political balancing acts the US must deal with if we remove Saddam from
power.  How to deal with the Kurds without giving them too much power and
creating another political/cultural hot spot rife with hatred, conflict and
terrorism.  I don't think the US wants to create another nation called
"Kurdistan" for the Kurds.  Turkey is very nervous the Kurds will gain
increasing political and military power.  Turkey is a key US ally so we will
avoid damaging our standing with them if we can.  I sympathize with the
Kurds, the "little guy" who is getting kicked around.

Ted