[Vision2020] War With Iraq

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 16:44:19 -0800

Visionaries,

What is astounding to me is how advocates of big government can be
surprised when suddenly it morphs into Empire (i.e. bigger government).
There is no doubt in my mind that we have entered the era of the American
Empire. As empires go, I suppose it will be relatively benevolent, but
that's no reason to pretend it is something else.

Our circumstances are unique. Under previous empires, there was a
possibility of two or three of the second tier states banding together and
giving the top dog a run for its money. But the U.S. military now has as
much fire-power as the combined forces of the next twenty countries down,
all put together.

In the meantime, the Constitution continues to act as the Queen Mum of
American politics, waving at us all from the balcony.

Cordially,

Douglas

P.S. This take of mine should in no way be taken as sympathy for Saddam,
who deserves everything he is going to get good and hard, or as some sort
of common ground with the Religion of Peace. I speak of these things with
scientific detachment.