[Vision2020] Free Speech and Crazy Bush

eevans@moscow.com eevans@moscow.com
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:05:36 GMT

Bob Hoffmann wrote:
<snip>
> And so we segue to secret evidence against Iraq, which, I submit, is being
> kept secret not due to considerations of the enemy, but due to
> considerations of U.S. public opinion.  After the first U.S./Iraqi "war,"
> the first Bush administration admitted that it mislead the press and the
> public about Iraqi troop movements, claiming that Iraq was not withdrawing
> from positions along the Saudi border, but in fact reinforcing
> them.  Admittedly a lie to gain and maintain public support for military
> action.  When we cannot believe the non-secret evidence presented by an
> administration bent on war, why should we believe secret evidence?

I read an interesting article sometime ago that dealt with this subject. In the
mid 90s after the first gulf war, the government sold off the imaging satelite
network to commercial entities. The gist of the thing was that this time round
the US military won't have exclusive eyes on things like troop movements, etc.

<snip>

Cheers,
-Ed
Evans