[Vision2020] Free Speech and Crazy Bush

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:04:59 -0800

Bob:

So, knowing that you are the repository of all things military, and
thinking that I somehow did a brain dump between graduating from, and
then teaching in, the United States Army Command and General Staff
Course, I went first to the syllabus and then to the indicated
reference, Karl von Clauswitz' "Vom Krieg"(On War), searching for the
generally accepted definition.

It seems that the people who fight wars define one as "The continuation
of diplomacy by other (violent) means".  That's a lot different than "
We only attack countries that have no real possibility of fighting
back", and "under the principles of war, if your enemy cannot fight
back or reasonably defend itself, there is no war, merely a massacre."

Can you cite an accepted reference for this definition?  If not,
perhaps you should read von Clauswitz and maybe Nicolo Machiavelli more
closely.  And by the way, although I am not particularly enamored with
a war in Iraq, it is my earnest desire that all wars the United States
becomes involved in be concluded speedily, with maximum force applied
consistant with the mission and its goals, and with the fewest possible
U.S. casualties.  You would prefer, perhaps, a bunch of American kids
coming home in body bags?

General George Patton once said to his troops before battle," It is not
your job to die for your country... it is your job to make the other
poor, dumb, S.O.B. die for his!"  A lovely sentiment.

Regards,

Don Kaag