[Vision2020] Free Speech and Crazy Bush

Bob Hoffmann escape@alt-escape.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:41:46 -0800

Thank you, Don, for the references.  Since "he with the most references
wins," I guess you won.  If we were keeping score on the most relevant
references, you'd be tying your sneakers at the starting line.  I never
sought to define war.  I merely spelled out the conditions under which the
U.S. now engages in war.  You haven't assailed my views on that.  You
merely quoted a man, Patton, who a long time ago was fighting a real war,
one which he conceivably could have lost, as evidenced by the huge body
counts on both sides.  World War II and a U.S. attack on Iraq are simply
not comparable in any intellectually stimulating or morally equivocal way.

I hope you don't think Clauswitz the final authority on the definition of
war.  While he was a great military theorist, there are reasons intelligent
people study more than one theorist, and they also study practitioners.  To
whit, Mao Tse Tung, whose war craft accomplished something singular in all
of history:  Uniting a nation of one billion people.  Mao defined war quite
simply as the destruction of one's enemy.  I propose that the U.S. has done
wonders in uniting both Maoist and Clauswitzian theory.

Could I also give a reference from another man fighting a real war, William
Tecumseh Sherman:  "War is Hell."  This definition is no less valid than
Mao's or Clauswitz's; it simply has a different perspective, one that every
Iraqi can take to heart, and few Americans can understand in this day of
vast American military supremacy.

I don't know who put Clauswitz on his head, but it has also been said,
"Diplomacy is war by other means."  We see this in the U.N. sanctions on
Iraq, which have resulted in more dead (overwhelmingly civilians) than the
actual military strikes on Iraq.

In the conduct of this diplomacy/war, the U.S. has caught Iraq in a
beautiful Catch 22.  If Iraq is found to be harboring weapons of mass
destruction, it will be attacked.  If Iraq is not found to be harboring
weapons of mass destruction, that is proof of its noncooperation, and it
will be attacked.  U.S. seems bent on attacking Iraq under any
circumstance.  This from a benevolent administration.

With regard to secret evidence, I'll apply the observations of another
political theorist, Noam Chomsky.  He notes that the purpose of covert
actions are not to keep secrets from the people under attack.  The people
of Nicaragua under the Sandanistas, for example, knew that their harbors
were being mined, their crops were being poisoned, and their civilian
villages and institutions were under attack by mercenaries funded by the
U.S.  The purpose of covert actions was to keep these attacks a secret from
the U.S. public, which might object to its tax dollars being used to
terrorize a far weaker neighbor.

And so we segue to secret evidence against Iraq, which, I submit, is being
kept secret not due to considerations of the enemy, but due to
considerations of U.S. public opinion.  After the first U.S./Iraqi "war,"
the first Bush administration admitted that it mislead the press and the
public about Iraqi troop movements, claiming that Iraq was not withdrawing
from positions along the Saudi border, but in fact reinforcing
them.  Admittedly a lie to gain and maintain public support for military
action.  When we cannot believe the non-secret evidence presented by an
administration bent on war, why should we believe secret evidence?

Bob Hoffmann
820 S. Logan St.
Moscow, ID  83843