[Vision2020] compensation proposal

Bill London london@moscow.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:24:27 -0800

Regarding Moscow's present employee compensation proposal:
    Generally, I favor a merit-based system, but I have a real concern
with the ethics of this proposal.
    I understand that among the city employees there is a large group of
lowest-paid workers who are significantly underpaid in comparison to
similar workers in other municipalities.  I believe that Gary Riedner
said that 48 employees are more than 5% below this "market" wage.
    These are the people who struggle the most to make ends meet.  These
are the people who could really use a wage increase.  And these are the
people who are ignored by this proposal.
    Instead the money for real wage increases is going to the workers
who need it the least--the 9 or so top administrators.  This proposal
gives these already well-paid workers even more money.  This proposal
widens the gap between the lowest-paid and the highest-paid workers in
the city.  These few workers would get what should rightfully go to
those who need the raise the most.
    This proposal is just plain wrong.  As in unjust, unfair,
disgusting.
    It is time for the city council to acknowledge that the process they
used to get to this proposal is flawed.  Try again.
BL