[Vision2020] Arrest aftermath

Mushroom mushroom@moscow.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:20:08 -0800

Carl Westberg wrote:

> I just heard a sound bite of President Hoover assuring Moscow residents,
> students, and parents of U of I students that the university and our town
> are safe, following the incident the other day.  Does anyone really feel any
> less safe than we did 48 hours ago?  This is somewhat overwrought, in my
> opinion.  If anyone does have a justification for increased anxiety, I
> believe it would be the innocent Muslims living in our Palouse community.

President Hoover, at least in the newspapers, seems ready to
assume the student's guilt. In this morning's Lewiston Trib
there is this indirect quote:

Hoover said he felt Al-Hussayen had betrayed the school
which offered him a quality education.

Other UI officials, it seems to me, have done well at doing
their jobs, working in the best interests of all elements of
the university -- including foreign students -- and of
constitutional principles.

Don Coombs