[Vision2020] The Vendor Ordinances

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:34:21 -0800

Yes.  I heard that same commentary by Paul Harvey.

This may open a whole new bucket of worms (an art that the city council has
recently mastered).  How about those seven and eight year olds selling
lemonade on public streets?

Book 'em, Dano.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tina Cunningham [mailto:kittz_cat@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 2:28 PM
To: John Danahy
Cc: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] The Vendor Ordinances

 When a Vendor proposes to sell any prepared food
> product for human
> consumption, a certification by the North Central
> Health District shall
> be required prior to issuance of a Vendor license.
> Prior to the issuance
> of any license when deemed necessary, the City shall
> inspect and approve
> each Vending Unit to assure compliance with the
> Code.
This rings familiar......Last summer I heard a Paul
Harvy show that stated that a little girl was shut
down by the Health Department for selling lemonaide by
the side of the road without a permit.......is that
what we want??????  Young capitalists beware!!!!!!

Tina Cunningham
Moscow

--- John Danahy <jdanahy@turbonet.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

> What concerns related to such persons have been
> expressed?  How will
> such licensing address such concerns?
>

> To provide a means for merchants to conduct Vending
> Operations on the
> public right-of-way in designated areas of the City
> while retaining the
> rights of the public in the use of the rights-of-way
> and providing a
> means for regulation of Vending for the protection
> of the public.
>

> Does not current law provide for the rights of the
> public in the use of
> rights-of-way?  Cannot current language be used to
> facilitate the
> protection of the public?  Cannot MPD currently
> require a vendor
> blocking public rights-of-way to move?
>

> A.	Vending Operation:  The act of selling goods,
> wares, merchandise
> and/or services on a public right-of-way or the act
> of placing or taking
> orders for goods, wares, merchandise and/or services
> on a public
> right-of-way.
>

> If a person undertakes to sell goods or services in
> a parking lot of a
> store, is that person a Vendor?  If not, why not?
> What is the
> difference between impeding the flow of pedestrian
> or vehicle traffic in
> a private parking lot and a public rights-of-way?
> Does this include the
> service organization that sells food at Parks and
> Rec Games in the
> summer?  How is a charity car wash affected by this?
>

> When a Vendor proposes to sell any prepared food
> product for human
> consumption, a certification by the North Central
> Health District shall
> be required prior to issuance of a Vendor license.
> Prior to the issuance
> of any license when deemed necessary, the City shall
> inspect and approve
> each Vending Unit to assure compliance with the
> Code.
>

> Is this a new requirement?  Does the city or, more
> properly, the NCHD
> currently inspect and approve?  Is a license needed
> to require this?
>

> Sec. 1-16.  Selling From Vehicles on Streets,
> Highways and Public
> Rights-Of-Way.
>
> No person shall sell or offer for sale or place or
> take orders for any
> goods, wares, merchandise and/or services from a
> vending unit, pushcart,
> vehicle, or other conveyance which is in a City
> street, highway, or
> public right-of-way, unless otherwise permitted by
> this Code
>

> How often does this happen?  Is this truly a
> "problem?"  Is there no
> other current language that can be used to solve the
> few problems that
> might crop up?
>

> I just do not see any real or imaginary need for all

=====
"Would you not like to be.....sittin on top of the world with your legs
hanging free....."  **Dave Matthews Band