[Vision2020] "Proposal would let schools ban books" (fwd)

Jacob Spencer spencerjt@wlu.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:17:19 -0500

I think it is interesting the number of irrational and unfocussed
arguments that are tossed around every time someone says, "book
banning."  I was at the Holocaust Museum today, and was re-introduced to
the horrors of Hitler's regime, including book burning.  However, I
don't see anything in the statement by the Idaho Rep. that reminds me of
anything I saw today.  Obviously the Idaho legislature is not attempting
to burn or ban any books.  What they are saying is that parents and
local school districts have the authority to keep kids from reading
certain materials while at school.  I see nothing wrong with this.  If
some parents feel their kids should read these books, they can always
check them out at one of our Public libraries, no liberty destroyed.
Try to keep the polemics on this one down, the storm troopers are not
coming.

Jacob Spencer
Woodbridge, Virginia

>>> Thomas Hansen <tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu> 02/21/03 17:07 PM >>>
And a hearty "Sieg Heil" to Rep. Peter Nielson and his fellow Brown
Shirts.