[Vision2020] Liability for Alcohol Catered Events

Jon Kimberling jon@n-k-ins.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:59:39 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C2D82F.E84C6B20

Yesterday afternoon the Administrative Committee had a discussion of the =
possible need to update our policy relative to catered events on city =
property that include alcohol. We heard from a number of local business =
owners as to how this might impact their ability to participate in these =
events. No formal action was taken. We requested staff provide =
additional information regarding what the liability exposure is to the =
city. I know I am personally interested in hearing from affected =
businesses. Do you carry liquor liability? Can you get a certificate of =
insurance naming the city as an additional insured? Is the cost =
something you can reasonably cover?  I believe our two goals are:

  1.. Make certain the city and it's citizens are adequately protected.
  2.. We don't adversely affect the use of the 1912 building because of =
added insurance costs.
Assuming it is determined coverage is something the city will require of =
caterers, I hope the two aren't mutually exclusive. Thanks again to the =
business owners who took the time yesterday to come and offer input. I =
believe this may be back on our agenda March 3rd.=20

Jon Kimberling

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C2D82F.E84C6B20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yesterday afternoon the Administrative =
Committee=20
had a discussion of the possible need to update our policy relative to =
catered=20
events on city property that include alcohol. We heard from a number of =
local=20
business owners as to how this might impact their ability to participate =
in=20
these&nbsp;events. No formal action was taken. We requested staff =
provide=20
additional information regarding what the liability exposure is to the =
city. I=20
know I am personally interested in hearing from affected businesses. Do =
you=20
carry liquor liability? Can you get a certificate of insurance naming =
the city=20
as an additional insured? Is the cost something you can reasonably =
cover?&nbsp;=20
I believe our two goals are:</FONT></DIV>
<OL>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Make certain the city and it's =
citizens are=20
  adequately protected.</FONT></LI>
  <LI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We don't adversely affect the use of =
the 1912=20
  building because of added insurance costs.</FONT></LI></OL>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Assuming it is determined coverage is =
something the=20
city will require of caterers, I hope the two aren't mutually exclusive. =
Thanks=20
again to the business owners who took the time yesterday to come and =
offer=20
input. I believe this may be back on our agenda&nbsp;March 3rd. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jon Kimberling</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_00F1_01C2D82F.E84C6B20--