[Vision2020] Taking charge of your own life...

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:48:41 -0800

Meylinda:

Nope.  As I stated, Yvonne is a very bright, very well-educated lady.
She knew exactly what she was saying when she said that she was opposed
to affirmative action.

I never heard anything from her about white racists and male sexists.
And I suspect that was because she is a lady that does not abide fools
gladly, and she would simply walk over around or through anyone who
exhibited those attributes, especially in the U.S. Army. The Army was
the first segment of America to be fully integrated, and since 1947 and
Truman's executive order making it so, has had plenty of time to put
resources and programs in place to ensure such scum-bucket beliefs are
controlled in uniform and on duty.

We were very good friends.  My wife and I were in the peculiar and
broadening position of being the only white people at lots of parties
and get-togethers with Yvonne and her BUPPIE (Black Urban
Professionals...) friends from Seattle and Tacoma, as Ft. Lewis was
close to home for her, and many of her classmates from UW were living
and working in the area.  It is actually kind of cute to be referred to
as "that nice lil' white boy" by people who use it affectionately.

I don't believe in affirmative action, either.  I believe in an even
break.  Anyone who qualifies academically should be freely admitted to
any school or job in the land, regardless of sex, color, religion, or
ethnicity.  The best qualified should be accepted, and if that means
(as it probably does...) that 3/4 of the students in California's
university system are Asian, than so be it.  Asians are Americans, too.
  I despise prejudice in all of its forms, but I also believe that you
get what you work and pay for.

My family have never owned slaves or oppressed anyone.  As a matter of
fact, my great-great grandfather, a Military Academy graduate from
Norfolk, Virginia, was one of the few Southern officers who did not
resign his commission and go South to fight for the Confederacy in the
late Disagreement Between the States.  He was foresquare for abolition,
and fought the entire war in Union blue.  History books list him as
General George Thomas, "The Rock of Chicamaugua".

Regards,

Don Kaag