[Vision2020] Taking charge of your own life...

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:52:31 -0800

Don Kaag mentioned, in an earlier post, that he had a colleague who hated
Affirmative Action because, as a black woman, she was always suspected of
benefitting unfairly from it.

May I suggest that what your colleague hated, Don, was white racists and
male sexists, not Affirmative Action?

It's tempting to imagine that in this day and age, there are no barriers to
full equality among all people--that it's a failure of the individual will,
not a bias in systems, that causes inequality.  It's particularly tempting
for those of us who are on the top of the heap:  we got here 'cause we
worked hard and deserve it, not because we've systematically benefitted from
bias, right?

If you haven't seen it, Allan Johnson's *Privilege, Power, and Difference*
is a thoughtful, brief, and easy-to-read treatment of the biases and
privileges built into social life, in which we all participate, whether or
not we as individuals wish to or intend to.

Melynda Huskey

"We utterly deny all outward wars and strife, and fightings with outward
weapons, for any end, or under any pretense whatsoever: this is our
testimony to the whole world."
Quaker Declaration of 1660