[Vision2020] Bombing hospitals

Mark Rounds ltrwritr@moscow.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:15:42 -0800 (PST)

AS a guy who used to have to deliver this kind of ordinance, I'll say this
up front.  No matter how careful you are and what technology you use, there
is a significant chance that some of the bombs will go off target.   Combat
is a high stress environment and feces occur.  That must be weighed in
before one thinks about going to war.

Having said that, modern anti-aircraft positions are mainly radar directed.
There are anti-radiation munitions that use the radar energy to home in on.
once they reach the target (or actually the split second they start drawing
away) the warhead goes off.

The warhead has an explosive charge at the core.  It is surrounded by a case
the is scored in half inch intervals.   The charge goes off and a couple
thousand blocks the size of dice whiz through the air in all directions.  It
chews up the exposed antenna and electronics of the radar with great
enthusiasm, significantly degrading the accuracy of the the anti-aircraft
fire.

Concrete building would stand up well under such attack though exposed
people would not.

If school was in session or the hospital was filled with patients, those
near windows would be at significant risk, those with any kind of wall
between them and the blast would be much better off.

If there were teams on the ground or a remotely piloted drone that could
lase the site, then conventional Cluster Bomb Units with a laser seeker
could be dropped from altitude and the golf ball sized munitions would again
chew up exposed electronics and optics of the system without destroying the
buildings.  In this scenario, exposed people will be in somewhat greater
danger because of the disersal of the bomblets.

If our intent is to stand off and pummel our advisary, its about as safe a
way to go as technology allows.  Mr. Kaag's analysis of what could be done
if we were willing to get in close is correct and concise.

Mark Rounds